Dementia Friendly Libraries
Kent Libraries, Registration and Archives can help and support people living with dementia in the following ways:
- Everyone is welcome in Kent libraries
- A free library card allows you to borrow books for three weeks with no late fines
- We offer a free Home Library Service to people unable to visit the library because of ill health, disability or caring responsibilities. Volunteers will deliver books to you at home
- We offer a fantastic selection of books including:
- Books about dementia, including Reading Well Books on Prescription for Dementia collections, which are available in 34 Kent libraries. This scheme aims to help improve people’s awareness and understanding of dementia. It is based on a recommended list of professionally endorsed books that offer guidance and support on how to live well with the condition. Booklists are available in all libraries
- Pictures to Share books – a series of books produced for people with dementia and their carers. They contain attractive, colourful images of familiar scenes, with snippets of text, and are an ideal way to trigger memories and conversations.
- The A Little, Aloud series – an anthology of prose and poetry especially for reading aloud.
- You can order books and audio books from Kent libraries free of charge
- We offer audio books, including eBooks; music CDs and DVDs
- If you are finding reading difficult, library staff can suggest different ways to keep reading
- We offer local history material including maps, newspapers and old photographs
- We offer computer facilities free of charge. Our online resources include information on health, local and family history and a great deal more
- If you need help using a computer, many libraries have IT Buddies who can help you get online
- If you enjoy meeting people join our Talk Time Groups, which meet weekly in many libraries
- We can provide information about local support for people living with dementia
- We also raise awareness by participating in dementia awareness weeks
- Staff are being trained in dementia awareness.
For more information ask at your local library or contact www.kent.gov.uk/libs
Call 03000 41 31 31, text relay 08001 03000 31 41 41